SafeGuards – Regulatory Updates
SafeGuardS is our technical bulletin highlighting new product standards, regulations and test methods, written by SGS experts.
The complete library of technical bulletins is available here. You can search for specific topics or filter by market segment or region.
Subscribers receive weekly email alerts on new SafeGuardS. They also receive our Product Recalls publication twice per month, compiling consumer product recalls notified in the EU, US and Australia.
US State of Vermont Revises Reporting Rule for Children’s Products
08. Jul 2019. Toys and Juvenile Products, Softlines, Hardgoods, Food, Cosmetics, Personal Care and Household
Vermont has revised its chemicals of high concern to children (CHCCs) reporting rule. The new provisions for reporting will become effective on July 1, 2019.
EU Strengthens Market Surveillance by Adopting Regulation (EU) 2019/1020
05. Jul 2019. Hardgoods, Toys and Juvenile Products, Softlines, Electrical and Electronics, Electrical Medical Devices, Food, Cosmetics, Personal Care and Household, Labor Standards
Regulation (EU) 2019/1020 will be applicable from July 16, 2021. A Union Product Compliance Network (UPCN) to be set up by January 1, 2021.
US State of Colorado Regulates PFAS Chemicals
05. Jul 2019. Softlines, Hardgoods
The US state of Colorado has approved measures to regulate PFAS chemicals in firefighting foams and firefighting personal protective equipment (FPPE). These will be implemented in phases starting August 2, 2019 for FPPE.
Switzerland Strengthens ORRChem to Align with EU Legislation and Beyond
02. Jul 2019. Hardgoods, Toys and Juvenile Products, Softlines, Cosmetics, Personal Care and Household, Electrical and Electronics
Switzerland has aligned its chemical restrictions under ORRChem with many of the provisions in EU REACH. The amendment entered into force on June 1, 2019.
EU Updates Cosmetics Regulation in Regard to CMR Substances
01. Jul 2019. Cosmetics, Personal Care and Household
On May 22, 2019, the European Commission published Regulation (EU) 2019/831 to amend Annexes II, III and V to Regulation (EC) No. 1223/2009 in regard to substances classified as CMR. The regulation will come into force on June 12, 2019.